When kids don’t get enough to eat, they can’t concentrate and they can’t learn. Teachers tell of students excited to be at school on Mondays because they can eat there through federal programs. But these same children in the Lake Washington School District (LWSD) often go hungry on weekends or during school breaks.
Pantry Packs powered by the Lake Washington Schools Foundation provides weekend packs of food for more than 800 LWSD students each week who are identified as being “food insecure.”
With community donations of time, funds and kid-friendly food, 40 volunteers come together each month to “pack the packs.” Volunteer drivers then deliver the packs to more than 45 participating schools, and each week school coordinators distribute the packs to hungry children in preschool through high school. Throughout the school year, Pantry Packs demonstrates how volunteers, schools and the community work together to help children in our area. For more information, email PantryPacks@lwsf.org.
YOU CAN HELP!
- DO YOU KNOW A CHILD WHO COULD BENEFIT FROM ADDITIONAL WEEKEND FOOD? Talk to your school's designated Pantry Packs coordinator, or review the Pantry Packs FAQs.
- HOLD A FOOD DRIVE: Pantry Packs is in need of a lot of kid-friendly meal and snack items. You could do a drive for just one food or many from our kid-friendly food items list. We have a planning checklist with more information, and our Food Drive Coordinator is available to help you organize your food drive. For more information, email FoodDrives@lwsf.org.
FOOD DONATIONS DROP-OFF: Pantry Packs moved to a new warehouse at 14816 NE 95th Street, Building 6 in Redmond in August 2018. We can accept donations during certain staffed times on some Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays by appointment only! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for available donation times.
- DONATE FUNDS FOR BULK FOOD PURCHASES:
We welcome the donation of funds to purchase the food we need at the best possible price. Please click the donation button to make a donation or mail a check written to "LWSF-Pantry Packs" to:
Lake Washington Schools Foundation
PO Box 83, Redmond, WA 98073
Remember that your donations may be matched by your employer. And consider making a recurring donation...because hunger is recurring!
- DONATE FOOD DIRECTLY TO PANTRY PACKS VIA OUR AMAZON WISH LIST:
Simply order the food items you wish to donate and your order will be shipped directly to Lake Washington Schools Foundation and designated for Pantry Pack’s use! Some items even have an optional “subscribe and save” option to set a recurring donation. Remember to include your name and address in the "note" so that we can properly record your donation and issue you a receipt.
When a community comes together, its members can solve the most pressing problems. Join us to solve student hunger in the Lake Washington School District.
ADDITIONAL PANTRY PACKS RESOURCES:
- Kid-Friendly Food Options
- Food Drive Instructions Checklist
- Food Donation Submission Sign
- D.I.Y Packing Instructions
- Packing & Prep Event Instructions
- Driver & Coordinator Instructions
- List of School Coordinators
- Toolkit for Student Groups
- How PTSAs Can Help
- Pantry Packs on Facebook
- Volunteer Notification Form
- Amazon Wish List - Donate today!
Note: Pantry Packs are packed in bulk and are not checked for allergens.