Applying to college can be confusing, lengthy, and an unforgiving process. Make sure you're ready for the college application season by joining Mary Pat O’Neil of True Fit College Counseling at these free and interactive Find Your Fit workshops!
Meet mary pat:
Mother of two.
Certificate in College Counseling from UCLA.
Member of NACAC and PNACAC.
Active volunteer in the school community.
Passionate about helping teens discover their college path as she knows there is no "one size fits all" approach to college counseling.
Everyone's path is different.
"I think it is important for students to take control of the college application process and know what they need in a college in order to have a better chance of success. Students need to own the process – I am here to guide them. "
College application and essay workshop
At our College Application and Essay Workshops, high school seniors will learn what it takes to write a personal yet compelling college essay.
· Tips for creating and completing college application platforms (Common App, Coalition App)
· What is the role of the essay in college admissions (5 possible parts of the college application)
· What colleges are looking for in an essay
· How the college essay is different than most writing high school students have done
· What to avoid when writing an essay
· How to discover your unique story
· The importance and difficulty of supplemental essays
Apply to College 101
Apply to College 101 is designed for high school students and their parents/guardians. Not only will you learn the steps involved in applying to college, but also how to find the perfect college fit.
· Understanding the different types of colleges
· The cost of college
· The 5 (possible) parts of a college application: high school transcript, standardized tests, activity list, letters of recommendation, essays
· How to create a balanced college list and why it is important
· Great college resources
· Why students need to visit colleges and how/when to do it
· Financial aid and scholarships
· Understanding the business of college: acceptance rates and yield
· Early Decision, Early Action – what do they mean?
Stay tuned for another workshop coming soon!
helping your teen navigate the college process Workshop
At our Helping Your Teen Navigate the College Process Workshops, parents and guardians will learn tips, tools, and time-tested advice on how to support and guide your teen through this stressful time!
The college process has changed a lot over the years. Some parents did not attend college in the United States. Many teens and parents feel anxious and worry that they will make the wrong decision. This workshop will provide answers to parents’ questions and concerns.
· College application timeline
· How to create a college list
· Overview of paying for college
· What you need to know about highly selective (Ivy League) schools
· Standardized tests (ACT/SAT) and how to prepare
· What parents can do to help their teen take control of the process
What do parents and students say after attending a Find Your Fit workshop?
"Mary Pat did an excellent job of breaking down the information without making it seem overwhelming."
"This was a great workshop! The presentation flowed well and was very well explained."
"The speaker, Mary Pat O'Neil, was very dynamic and knowledgeable. She also stayed after the presentation and took individual questions."
"Very informative workshop. It certainly brightened our journey of this college process.."