Applying to college can be confusing, lengthy, and an unforgiving process. Make sure you're ready for the college application season by joining Mary Pat O’Neil of True Fit College Counseling at these free interactive Find Your Fit workshops.
Apply to College 101
College Application and Essay Workshop
Apply to College 101 is designed for high school students and their parents/guardians. Not only will you learn the steps involved in applying to college, but also how to find the perfect college fit. From how to decide where to apply, why grades matter, how scholarships work, and more... this workshop explains everything you'll need to know to be college ready.
· Understanding the different types of colleges
· The cost of college
· The 5 (possible) parts of a college application: high school transcript, standardized tests, activity list, letters of recommendation, essays
· How to create a balanced college list and why it is important
· Great college resources
· Why students need to visit colleges and how/when to do it
· Financial aid and scholarships
· Understanding the business of college: acceptance rates and yield
· Early Decision, Early Action – what do they mean?
July 30, 2019, 2PM-4PM
**Workshop is now full, waitlist is still available**
At our College Applications and Essay Workshops, high school seniors will learn what it takes to write a personal yet compelling college essay.
· Tips for creating and completing college application platforms (Common App, Coalition App)
· What is the role of the essay in college admissions (5 possible parts of the college application)
· What colleges are looking for in an essay
· How the college essay is different than most writing high school students have done
· How not to write an essay
· How to write an essay
· Discovering your stories
· The importance and difficulty of supplemental essays
August 5, 2019, 2PM-4PM
Prior registration is required!
**Please note that this class is for rising seniors only**
College application bootcamp
This program is designed for rising seniors only (class of 2020) to help students understand and take control of the college process so that they are prepared by the time senior year begins!
Next workshop: TBD
Helping Your Teen Navigate the College Process Workshop
At our Helping Your Teen Navigate the College Process Workshops, parents and guardians will learn tips, tools, and time-tested advice on how to support and guide your teen through this stressful time!
The college process has changed a lot over the years. Some parents did not attend college in the United States. Many teens and parents feel anxious and worry that they will make the wrong decision. This workshop will provide answers to parents’ questions and concerns.
· College application timeline
· How to create a college list
· Overview of paying for college
· What you need to know about highly selective (Ivy League) schools
· Standardized tests (ACT/SAT) and how to prepare
· What parents can do to help their teen take control of the process
Next workshop: TBD